Pages

2 hours well spent

Wednesday, May 11

Yesterday after work I decided to do an inventory of things I would wear during Me Made June.

SHOCK ATTACK!!

Not only did I not have up to 10 things I'd consider wearing to work, I realised I did not have any me made skirts. At this rate, I run the risk of going 7 outfits for a whole month. Not a pleasant  thought.

So, like any self-respecting sewist, I hit the blogosphere to find inspiration for a quick skirt project. I decided on a gathered skirt with an elastic waist inspired by Alli, of One Pearl Button. The drafting instructions are here, on Grosgrainfabulous . The good thing about this apart from being quick to sew, was the fact that it does not have a zip, my nemesis.


Skirt getting ready to go to work

Skirt helping me make mincemeat of pivot tables at work

There were two issues I had with making this.

1) I did not have an old skirt or dress as the instructions called for, so I had to do some calculations of my own, and come up with a gathered skirt.

2) The skirt does not have pockets, but I wanted my skirt to have a pocket, so I had to modify it somewhat.

What did I do?

  1. I measured my wasit = 30"
  2. I measured the length I wanted my skirt to be = 25" ( including 1" hem allowance)
  3. I used my waist measurement to cut my elastic band. = 30"
  4. Then I added 10" to my waist measurement, and and cut two pieces of fabric with that measurement = 2 seperate pieces of 40" width by 25" length
  5. Then I cut four pockets using the pocket pattern from the simplicity pattern I used for my green dress
  6. With right sides together, I joined the pockets to each side of my skirt front and back pieces.
  7. Then I joined the front and back pieces together and overlocked the edges ( if you don't have an overlocker or overlocker foot, you can use a zig-zag stitch, or finish the seams using french seam or any other seam finishing techniques.
  8. I stitched two lines round the waist, using long machine basting stitches, and gathered the skirt.
  9. I stitiched the edges of the elastic band together, and pinned it to the skirt, right sides together.
  10. I used a zig-zag stitch to attach the skirt to the elastic.
  11. Press your skirt, and job done.
Not much of a tutorial. I don't consider this a tutorial as I did not come up with the idea, but adapted Alli's method, to suit my needs. I hope I can make more easy skirts in time for June.

Now this is completely random, but I noticed coke has joined the vintage bandwagon. I'm addicted to coke, and its nice to know that it is going all retro too.



enjoy your day,

xoxo,

Dibs


9 comments:

  1. Great job! And thanks for sharing the process.

    (You've also reminded me that I have some of this fabric... now if I can just remember where...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shivani. Ikea is great for cheap fabrics. I think I need to stop there soon..if i have any money left from saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely skirt! I haven't dared to count how many me-made items I own yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab skirt! And it can do pivot tables too? Even better! You have made me realise that June isn't that far away any more - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skirt looks really great on you! Also, it's definitely a work/weekend skirt which only means you'll get a lot of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to seeing what you'll make with all the fabric you bought yesterday Dibs! I hope you are sewing today. (I like the skirt).

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so nice to meet you too Adrienne. I hope i sew today too. I am still at my sister's house, so will get home in the evening. Maybe i will be inspired. How was your trip bsck up north?

    ReplyDelete