Pages

New Look 6816 top

Friday, May 27

006 by Dibs and the machine
006, a photo by Dibs and the machine on Flickr.


Yesterday I made a top for work today (I wish this could happen everyday). I decided to do a quick project, as sewing after work can be very tiring sometimes, so I picked New Look 6816 purely because it said it was a 2 hour project. It took me less than two hours (can you believe it?), but only because I decided to sew it with my overlocker.



I made the red version with the short sleeves, and put ruffles at the neck. I used my overlocker for the side seams,then used my regular machine to sew the hem, as I wanted it to have a wavy look. I used a tight ziz-zag stitch for the hem, and a looser one for the sleeves.

009 by Dibs and the machine

For the ruffles, I simply cut four strips of fabric, gathered them, and attached them to the neckline.

This was my first time sewing with Knit, and I found that you have to guide it all the time, or else it will keep twisting. I also noticed that knits(or at least what I was using), don't gather as easily as woven fabric. When I tried to gather the two rows of stitches I had done for the ruffles, I found it very difficult. So i added another line of stitches, and that solved the little issue.

It was a fairly easy top to make, and I will make this again.

14 comments:

  1. Your top looks fantastic on you! Glad you are using your overlocker. I still haven't used mine much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are cruising ! No longer an overlocker learner I'd say. Looks really great- gorgeous colour & pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, Dibs! I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I've never really sewn with knits so it make's me nervous, especially since I don't have an overlocker, but this shirt is so cute I might try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of the tops I made shortly after having my little girl, since it was easy enough to do while tending to a newborn. Love the ruffles you added to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Top!!! Isn't instant gratification wonderful?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Susan and Renay.
    @Winnie, I have conquered the little devil..lol
    @Shawnta, it sure is wonderful. if only all projects could be like this.
    @Nicole, it really is quite easy. see how my teeth are all flashing?
    @Picnicfan, i think its in the mind. I am trying to make a concious effort to tacle projects that will enable me use it.
    @Karen, I'm loking forward to your MMJ friends. that guy looked petrified in your pic. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely! I'm sure it will be really useful. I've abandoned trying to sew knit fabric with my machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colour. It looks great. I always use my overlocker for knit fabric as you still get the stretch in the fabric, that way you don't break the stitching when pulling the gartment on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The color looks good on you! That's really great that you sewed it so quickly. Congratulations on sewing with knit for the first time. I remember the fabric used to scare me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to have to add this to my growing pattern stash! Love the color and the top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the top! That gorgeous pop of colour looks fabulous on you - and is so perfect for the summer sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That color looks fabulous on you. Loving that style of shirt too.

    ReplyDelete