I finished my first dress last night, or should I say this morning. I went to bed last night at about 2am, because I wanted to wear it to work today. Which I did....YAY!!!!!!. It's taken me a couple of evenings after work, but I'm just glad its finally over, and has given me my confidence back.
The last dress I made was last year in April I think. I have spent the last couple of months blaming my machine and everything else under the sun, but now I have no excuse because I got a brand new Pfaff Select 4.0. So sew, I must. I really love this new machine. Its really easy to sew with.
I started a dress earlier this year, but it was a complete disaster. I will probably do a seperate entry for that big time failure.
So about this dress: All the pictures were taken with my phone. I don't have a camera at this point because I dropped it while riding a Camel in Tunisia last year on my honeymoon. The pictures look quite dodgy ..lol...
Turqouise crepe fabric from Goldhawk road. I can't remember the name of the shop. I found the fabric in their remnant basket, and bought two pieces of 1.5m each for £2.50. So the fabric cost me £5.00.
I also bought 1.5m of turqouise acetate lining at £2.50. I thought this was expensive, but what do I know? Will have to try and source out cheaper linings. But it was easy to work with though.
I used a 16" invisible zip. BIG MISTAKE. I should have used 22" as requested on the pattern, but that was all I had at home, so I tend to squeeze myself into the dress.
This is a hybrid of two different patterns. The skirt of Vogue 8232, and the bodice of Butterick 5316.
The skirt was the easiest thing to sew. I really like the fact that it's very flared because I am the definition of Pear Shaped, and straight or body hugging skirts and dresses are a NO- NO for me, although I do get them sometimes in bigger sizes.
The Bodice is lined, and has double darts at the front. I can't show you pictures of the lining because I took these pictures at work, and I think my manager will have an early death if I suddenly disrobe infront of him. And of course, since I am queen lazy, I won't be taking anymore pics of this dress for blogging.
I liked inserting the cap sleeve. It is really easy, and I learned how to line it for the first time.
The problems I had though, were with inserting the zipper. I did not know how to insert a zipper in a dress that was lined. So I scratched my head for ages, but i finally came up with a solution, which I am sure will scandalise more experienced sewers. So I will not be writing about it. Lets just say its my own little secret...lol....I can however let slip that as I type these words, with the dress on yours truly, I still don't know what to do with the linning and the zipper.
Anyways, the dress was easy to sew, but for the zipper insertion. The pattern instructions said to use a regular zip i think, but i used an invisible zip. I find it easier to sew with them, so I always try to use them.
- Never forget to mark notches in patterns
- Always read all instructions before starting any project
- Redo any seams that do not look nice. ( I did alot on this dress, especially with the zipper)