Pages

Sewing for tiny people and the snood bug.

Sunday, November 6

I am so happy!!. I finally made something after many months of inactivity. Granted its nothing fancy, but it was for a good cause, and it gave me a slow reintroduction to my machine.

Yesterday we made a surprise baby shower for one of my friends and I thought instead of buying a present, I should use the opportunity to make one. Giving her something made by me, which would be unique, and also helping me practice sewing for babies.  

So, I bought some plain white onesies from John Lewis and decided to appliqué them with some leftover fabric I had at home, and also made matching burb cloths and bibs. The pictures are not very good, I know, so do forgive the bad quality. I forgot to take pictures of them when I finished, so these are pics from the baby shower. I decided to include a washing line as part of the baby shower decorations, and the sets were a huge hit with the guests.







These are the first baby related things I have ever made, and sewing them was really easy. I am looking forward to making loads of appliquéd onesies for the wee one when she comes. I had never done an applique before, and I must say it can get quite addictive.

Another friend recently gave birth to a baby girl. Did anyone say more onesies? Oh well, I have to make sets for her little girl too, because she really loved the ones I made for the baby shower, and wants some. So, more sewing for tiny people.

I've also discovered the world of Fat Quarters!!. Why did no one ever tell me about them? When I was trying to decide what fabric to use for the babyshower project, I went online looking for ideas, and saw so many beautiful prints. In true Dibs style, I quickly ordered some fat quarters from Saints and Pinners. I am still to decide what to do with them, but its quite exciting knowing that you don't have to use alot of fabric to make cute little things for babies.

In other news, I'm currently knitting a snood. yes!! I said it!!. Karen's snood bug has caught me, and I am working on a turquoise snood. Now, I mentioned before that I find knitting hard, and crochet easier. I still do, but I am determined not to let the little matter of me not knowing how to knit prevent me from rocking a snood this winter. Especially as I am currently recovering from a nasty cold. I reckon if I had made this snood earlier, I would not have fallen victim to this cold. But  not to worry. Knit a snood, I shall. I have no clue when I will finish it, bit I know it will definitely be sometime before Christmas....no pressure here.

Have a lovely week everyone!!

4 comments:

  1. Fat quarters are awesome. They are great for all kinds of projects: purses, lavender bags, pincushions...And they make yards and yards of bias binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of appliquéd onesies, especially since appliqué is my new favourite technique and I have several friends expecting! Yours look fantastic! Did you appliqué by hand or with sewing machine? I was taught to do it by hand but methinks sewing machine would be much quicker...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did them with the machine Kat. It was so fast.

    ReplyDelete