Pages

Sew Weekly Challenge Inspiration

Monday, January 16

So this year I joined the Sew Weekly sewing challengers group. If you have not heard of the Sew Weekly, which I think is highly unlikely, you might want to pop over here www.sewweekly.com

Last week was the Accessories Challenge Week. I started something, which I still have to complete. So yes, i have already failed the challenge, as the week is already over. I don't mind though. I do not think I will be able to follow EVERY challenge, or finish every challenge on time, but I will try to participate to the best of my abilities.

So the challenge was to sew something which was inspired by an accessory.

My inspiration was one of my Lulu Guinness clutches:


And this is what I am making. A dress with an empire line waistline. I bought the fabric from walthamstow Market for £2/metre. I bought 3 metres, but I am using about 2 metres, or just under. It is a really soft stretch cotton fabric, and feels like velvet. So because of that, I am using a velvet trim on the waist seam line.


I am using the top half of this Simplicity pattern:


I cut size 16, but it is too big ( as I found out afterwards), so I am having to work some magic on the dress. Hopefully I should have it sorted. I really want to make this dress, AND finish it. It would do wonders for my confidence as I have not completed a single item since July last year. Shocking non?

I'm hoping to have it completed by Wednesday, and have some pictures up.

What are you all working on right now?

10 comments:

  1. the colours are lovely...

    im not working on anything at the moment..

    ReplyDelete
  2. that dress is going to look lovely! I think, given the number of dresses you showed us last summer and your growing bump, it is not *that* that you haven't made anything for a while! I am not working on anyhting atm, but thinking about a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Its the same thing. Too many thoughts in my head, lol, not enough motivation to actualise them.

      Delete
  3. I am working on too many things as always! I have just finished my first Pendrell, but now I have the minoru jacket sewalong (still waiting for fabric to arrive, arrgh!), also some knitted bunnies, a knitted jumper and various presents in the pipeline...also I would love to do something for the Sew Grateful week. Too much to do, too little time...that clutch is very cute by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, and I thought I had alot on my plate. Thanks about the clutch.

      Delete
  4. That clutch bag is adorable! I'm mightily impressed you're making maternity wear, I just hid away in my husbands jumpers for nine months!!
    I'm working on about five things at once but not really managing to make progress on any of them, need to start finishing things off one at a time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hiding in my husband's jumpers too. For work I bought a couple of size 16 tops which have been great so far. Maternity clothes are so expensive in the UK...eeek!!!

      Delete
  5. I have that pattern- gack, it is sooo huge. I finally gave the dress to Goodwill because I was sick of it. I really like your fabric, it will be a cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly. I have finished the dress, just waiting now for Mr.Dibs to do some photography. I am now a size 14, but I am sure even that one will be massive on me.

      Delete