Pages

Something Blue : Mccalls 6282

Monday, August 15



So it’s been eons since this little blog has had some love. I have been going through a sewing and consequently blogging funk. I blame the second baby. That little terror is responsible for everything that has happened to this blog. That my friends is the absolute truth....hand on heart.


But not to worry. Things are hopefully going to be changing around here. I am slowly getting back to my pre-children sewing state. So while I transition back into crazy sewing, I will be posting about the FEW things I have since made, starting with McCalls 6282.



I made this dress in November 2015, when I joined a sewing club here in Northampton. Sadly I have not been to the sewing club since December 2015. Shameful I know, but sometimes life just happens and you have to prioritize. I will like to go back to the group, but I think I have to work up enough courage to show my face there again.


The dress was really easy to make, so I can't really say much about the pattern, as it was an uneventful make. It sews up really quickly and is something you can make in 1 evening. I made this over 2 weeks, just because I only took it out of my sewing bag when I got to the sewing club. There are only 3 pattern pieces, the front, back, and the sleeve. I sewed the sleeves using the flat method and that went so much faster for me.


The fabric is a really cheap remnant I bought from Milton Keynes market for about £2/metre. It is like a double knit, but a bit thicker, and it feels so soft and luxurious. I used less than 2 metres I think. Forgive my hazy memory, it’s been a while. Plus though like fine wine I get better with age, I'm afraid my memory seems to be going pear shaped.


 I really love this dress, and I even took it with me to Barcelona in March this year when I went for a weekend with some of the girls from my secondary and high school. See me in action in Barcelona? That trip was so lovely, I even got to meet Paco, who is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. More on that in another post.


The lovely thing about this dress is the fact that it has some ruching in the stomach area, perfect for hiding my ever expanding pot belly. That belly is currently the bane of my life. Since taking these pictures, I have put on more weight, but the dress still fits, so yay for stretchy fabric. I have plans to make more versions of this dress as it is such a flattering shame for me.



If you like this kind of style, and you do not have this pattern, I strongly recommend you buy it. You won't regret it.

18 comments:

  1. Hey Dibs! Good to see you blogging again - although I have been following you on Instagram in the meantime. That dress looks great on you! I'm still sewing and have recently discovered the joys of knit maxi dresses that can be whipped up super quickly and look fab. I've never made another bra since our course at Morley College though! Far too fiddly and fraught with fitting issues. I hope you get to do more sewing soon! Kathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahha. knit fabrics rule the world. I have not sew a bra too since Morley but hopefully I will get back on that too. It really is fiddly right? all those little bra notions, and you can never know the fit untill you are done. oh well.....

      Delete
  2. Welcome back. Love the dress (and your hair)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you and your funky shoes back. You have been missed K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funky shoes? hahahahahah. Thanks. Though you will be sad to know my mom stole this pair of shoes when was last here to visit. She did not even give me the opportunity to wear them 1 last time.

      Delete
  4. You look great! Glad you are back.... go back to your sewing club and enjoy. They won't care you didn't get back till now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I might you know. I really enjoyed being with people who shared my love of sewing

      Delete
  5. Yay for blogging again! I love the color of this dress. And, I feel you on the weight gain and being thankful for lycra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lycra saves me all the time. I have started going to the gym though, but it is so hard, and I can't seem to stop eating .

      Delete
    2. Not alone there... the eating part! LOL!

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful color on you *heart eye emoji*
    And you look smoking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I uncounciously populated my wardrobe with blue outfits and now i think i really love the colour.

      Delete
  7. So very cute! It looks like it is a go-anywhere-do-just-about-anything type of dress, so pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks La Vonda, yes it is. It is so comfortable, and the good thing is i don't even have to suck my stomach in.

      Delete
  8. This dress is gorgeous! The colour is beautiful and the draped neckline frames your face beautifully. You look wonderful.
    You're also sewing at lightning speed compared to me - I have the plans but naff all motivation or time at the moment. And when I do get five minutes to myself I simply like to drink my coffee whilst its still hot, lol!!
    Looking forward to seeing what else you've got up to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lycra is my jam too! Your dress is great and I love the color. Congratulations on the new baby. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to see you back Dibs! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete