Pages

Minerva Craft Blogger Network: Mccalls 6027

Tuesday, August 27

I've been admiring ikat print dresses for some time now so when I saw the ikat style stretch cotton on the Minerva crafts website, I just knew I had to have it. I was not really sure of the dress I would make, and so I kept. going round and round, until finally I decided on Mccalls 6027. It is a fun looking dress, and I wanted something flirty....it is summer afterall, so I decided to use it for my first project with the Minerva Craft Blogger Network.

The pattern runs big I think. I made the size 14 for my muslin, and I did feel it was bit big for me. It is also one of the patterns that makes allowances for petite people. So I made the petite version, but even that still felt like the torso was too long for me. I took more length out of the bodice, and made it up in a 12, grading out to 14 at the hips.




I used horse hair braid at the hem, using this tutorial . I had never used horse hair braid before, and I was really surprised by the result. It makes the hem really structured and still. I like the effect it gives, and I plan on using more often.


 The pattern calls for a partial lining, but I decided to line the dress fully. The fabric does not really require a lining, but we are coming up to colder months, and I intend to wear this dress in the dead of winter, if only to brighten my winter induced dark moods.





 I quite love this fabric, and if you have been reading my blog, you would know this fabric (as bright as it is) is so ME. Though it is a woven fabric, it has some stretch to it, which makes it ideal to sew with in my opinion. If you are interested in using this fabric for future projects, you can get the kit here. It is made of  2 metres of this fabric, and a matching concealed zip.


26 comments:

  1. And that fabric is AMAZING. Love the pinks purples and yellows on you. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, you look great:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous colours on you! and how big has noah got?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress! The colours really suit you - so vibrant!! And, hasn't Noah grown :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. suits you perfectly, the style, the colours....perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color is so you, as well. Really nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH, I love this! It's so gorgeous! It really does suit you! You chose the perfect style for this awesome fabric! Noah is so tall and adorable, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dibs, that is a HAWT look. Great work. Love the styling- the belt is cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is only one word to describe you and this dress...BEAUTIFUL! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really lovely dress and you got a great fit. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fabulous Dibs! I've got some cut for my next project, it's just so happy! The horsehair hem looks great on the skirt and your hair! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! A brilliant finish to the first round of makes on the blogger network. This dress is so cute and I love the colours. I also love your styling, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous, and totally you! Love the horsehair braid too, nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dibs, you look fabulous, the dress and colours really suits you. Definitely as summer-y and flirty dress! I'm very tempted to buy some of that fabric, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, it will definitely lift your mood in the middle of winter :) The fabric is beautiful and I love how the hem is sitting with the horsehair braid, I must try it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you look lovely in this dress. The fabric is gorgeous - such a brilliant find and the dress silhouette is a perfect match with the Ikat print. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job Dibs. Love this dress. I remember when you got the fabric. It totally works for this silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous dress, you look great in it! First time I've seen ikat in such a pretty colour, in the shops here, I've seen ikat only in deep blue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like this dress, you wear it with a lot of flare. Really good for first time, I should be so lucky lol! you give me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are rocking these colours Dibs! I love the effect of the horsehair braid in the hem. Plus this shape is great on you, lovely lovely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi I was just curious on what size of horsehair did you use? I'm looking to buy some myself to use and I can't seem to figure out what size I would want. I like how your turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think mine is the 1 inch one

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete